Are you an adult who has been ill or has had an accident and now struggle to look after yourself, unable to cope with day-to-day tasks such as personal care, regenerate meals and moving around? If you want to stay independent in your own home for as long as possible there is support available.

Targeted Care and Enablement Service

The targeted care & enablement service is free at point of contact and can be provided for a minimum of a day to a maximum of six weeks and is an assessment period to help you regain independence with the support of a team of Targeted Care and enablement workers working with you and not for you to achieve this. If long term care needs are evidenced at any time within this assessment period, then the service will become chargeable from that point and a financial assessment will be completed to decide on your contribution (if any)

You will be supported by a team consisting of Targeted care & enablement workers, Social Workers, and Social Worker assistants who will work with you to achieve goals agreed with you to meet your current needs, we will also have access to Occupational Therapists, Therapy & Social Care Assistants, and other professionals e.g., nurse should they be required. The support that you receive from the targeted care & enablement service will be regularly reviewed with the focus on returning you to your previous level of independence and hopefully at the end of the assessment period you will have achieved this, but should you still require some level of ongoing support then this will be discussed with you and your social worker / social worker assistant, who will put provisions in place for an agency to take over your care package and as soon as they have capacity to do so it will be transferred. There will be a charge for this ongoing service but you will be offered a financial assessment to see what (if any) of this charge you may be eligible to pay.

How to access the service?

Telephone: 01545 570881


If Enablement Service is seen as the most appropriate service to meet your needs then someone from the Service will contact you.

You can also be referred to the Service either by your GP or Community Nurse.

If you are in hospital, the staff looking after you may refer you.

If you are not eligible for or do not wish to receive a service from Social Services, there are a number of private agencies that can provide help within the home. You can contact them directly and receive the support that you want on a private basis.

They may also be able to offer additional services that Social Services cannot for example, shopping and cleaning. The agencies listed on DEWIS Ceredigion, have staff who are trained, have been disclosure and barring service checked (police checked) and are registered with the Care Inspectorate Wales.

The link below will take you to Dewis Cymru. Dewis Cymru is a directory of services that people can use to find out about services and opportunities available both locally and nationally.

Further information about Dewis can be found at the Dewis Cymru website.